Friday, May 14, 2010

Show Us Your Life-Favorite Books

Even though I may not get to link to Kelly's Korner, please go there and check out all the others (especially if you are looking for something new to read).


As a preschool director, I get to read a lot of children's books all the time. I have a few favorites, but I really love finding books that have special meanings. My all time favorite books are the "If You Give" by Laura Numeroff.

I have a nephew who only lived 7 weeks. After he died, I started hunting for books that had characters with his name. As it happens he was born the year before the tsunami hit Africa. There is a wonderful story about a baby hippo orphaned because of the tsunami and a very old tortoise who became his friend. The hippo's name is Owen, the same as my nephew. They have published several books about these two. I can't read A Mama for Owen without crying.

There was a wonderful gentleman at my home church who recently passed away. Anyone who was asked would always say how they remembered Tom's reply of "I am blessed!" whenever someone asked how he was. The day of his funeral I happened to glance at a book rack in the grocery store (of all places), and there was a book titled I Am Blessed! Of course I had to get it, and I think of Tom every time I read it to Sophie.

Because of the adoption, I'm always on the look out for adoption stories, especially about those from China. My favorite is I Love You Like Crazy Cakes. I would really like to find one that talks about an older boy who gets adopted and ends up with a baby sister. I may have to write my own for that, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment