Wednesday, July 7, 2010

EMM: Turn Off Your TV

So this week's Every Monday Matters is actually going to be Every Wednesday Matters. Honestly, with Monday being a holiday and Paul being home, I didn't even think about it, and yesterday we were stuck in the house all day waiting on a delivery so I knew I wouldn't get far with the whole turning the TV off thing. So, here we are on Wednesday with the TV turned off. Of course, I can't completely control this since Paul lives here too. But I can certainly try to limit it as much as possible. I have been trying to be more selective about what is on when Sophie is around. I've also tried to multi-task as I'm watching television. I see TV as a form of entertainment. It's also how I "decompress" at the end of the day. I'm sure there is research out there that would contradict the benefits I see in watching TV but I'm going with what I think for now.



We do have a TV in the bedroom because I like to watch movies in bed, and we needed 2 locations for watching stuff. (It also nice if you are sick and staying in bed all day.) But I don't plan on letting Sophie have a television in her room. There will always be at least 2 televisions so if she wants to watch something different she will have that option, it will just be in our control. I've also tried to turn the TV off during meal times. I've actually been attempting this for years.



One of the other things the book suggests is making a list of things to do instead of watching television and then do them. Their website even had a link to sign-up for tips to be sent to you. Today's tip is to go to a coffee shop with your family or even by yourself. We didn't end up at Starbucks tonight, but we did drive around the neighborhood trying to get Sophie to sleep.

I didn't watch any television today, but that was helped by the fact that I went into the office for 3 hours, then took Sophie out for dinner before meeting a couple of the childcare workers for training. I also had some more work to do once I got home. So although I didn't watch TV, I did spend more time on the computer than normal. Paul also didn't get to watch much. He worked late, then did everything he could to get Sophie to bed

I think I need to try this one on a day when I don't have a bazillion other things already scheduled and see how I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment