Friday, February 26, 2010

Show Us Your Life: Collections

So, over at Kelly's Korner this week, we are showing our collections. Those treasures and knick-knacks that we truly love. My collection is elephants. It started when my great-grandmother passed away. My grandmother gave me about a dozen little figurines that had been great-grandmothers. These included several elephants, plus some dogs, bears and cats. When my sister came along 7 years later and got her own room, I divided the collection, keeping all the elephants for myself and giving her everything else. There was truly no reason why I did it that way, probably just being a little Type A for a 10 year-old. From there people started giving me gifts that were elephants.

At one point I tried to count how many I had (several hundred), but there came a time when I moved from one apartment to another that I decided to box most of them up and put them in storage. When we decided to have children, I decided that the nursery had to have some sort of elephant theme, then I could bring out some of those elephants from their storage boxes. Before we even decided on the adoption, I had chosen our crib bedding (and purchased it before we even completed all the paperwork). After we got pregnant, I went up in the attic and started going through each of the boxes, pulling out items that could go in the nursery.
Some of the originals
Humidifier for the nursery
More on top of the changing table unit
For the art table
Antique ashtray

No comments:

Post a Comment