Thursday, February 10, 2011

Just the Facts, Ma'am

"You know children are growing up when they start asking questions that have answers." John J. Plomb

That quote made me laugh. The questions the kids at the preschool ask are sometimes those questions that have no answer. As parents (and adults) we have to be careful about the answers we give children. We don't want to give them information they aren't ready for, and we don't want to ignore their questions either. Every child deserves our attention and conversation, even if it somewhat one-sided or involves the same word over and over again. You know the dialogue...child asks "why", we answer, the child asks "why" again, we answer, and so on. Right now for me it goes like this:

Sophie: Momma!
Me: Yes, Sophie?
Sophie: Momma!
Me: What, Sophie?
Sophie: Momma!
Me: Sophie!
Sophie: Momma!
Me: Sophie!
Sophie: Momma!
Me: Sophie!

You get the picture. I think she just likes hearing the back and forth exchange!

"When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; When I became an adult, I put an end to childish ways." 1 Corinthians 13:11

No comments:

Post a Comment