Friday, March 22, 2013

Stitch Fix #1

I read about this online personal shopping/stylist company on another blog and decided to check it out.  It's called Stitch Fix.  You sign up, answer a bunch of questions about your sizes, preferences, style, etc.  You decide when they ship you stuff.  Then someone chooses some items for you, mails them to you and you decide which ones you want to keep, send back what you don't want.  Here's the catch...you pay a $20 stylist fee but that gets applied to any items you purchase.  You also get a discount if you buy everything in the box.  For me the other catch is most items cost more than I would normally spend but that's also a good thing.  Why, you ask? Because I can add some pieces to my wardrobe that I wouldn't buy because I wouldn't even be in the stores where they were sold.  You schedule when you get shipments, either on a regular basis (i.e. every month) or just when you say so (that's what I did).  I got my first box this week.  I have 3 days to check everything out and decide what I want to keep.

 
Inside this fairly small box was 5 items: a sweater, a cardigan, 2 tops, and a pair of earrings.
Here's the thing that completely sold me on at least trying them out.  My difficulty in shopping is trying to figure out which pieces to put together.  And if I'm not shopping for a complete outfit, but just picking something that might go with something I already have in my closet, you can forget about it.  Each clothing piece in the box came with a card that showed the item with a couple of ideas to complete it.
So I can just take the card with me when I go shopping and find pieces that will work.  Genius!  I'm thinking I might even be able to do this with things I've pinned, just print out the pinned item and take it with me.

I actually liked everything in the box but there were a couple of issues.  First, the earrings are cute and I would definitely wear them but for the price I could buy half a dozen things at Sam Moon that would be just as cute.  Second, sleeves on the cream sweater were really tight, like so tight I couldn't get them pulled up all the way.  Honestly , I think it may be a defect because I'm not "big boned" by any stretch, and yet I could barely get my hand in.  And once it was in, it felt a little like those Chinese finger handcuffs.  You know the ones that look like a woven tube, where you stick a finger in each end, but when you pull to get your finger out the tube pulls tight and your stuck.  That's what it felt like when I was trying to pull the sleeve off.

Here's my dilemma...if I buy 4 of the items it costs the same as getting the whole box (because the discount is equal to the price of the most expensive item).  Although, I don't necessarily need the earrings, I'm leaning toward just taking the whole box.  Part of the point for me was to get things I wouldn't normally buy (either because I wouldn't take the risk style-wise or price) so even the earrings fit that bill. And if I'm getting everything else (including the earrings), I might as well keep the sweater. I have a cousin who might be able to fit the sweater, or I may be able to stretch the sleeves a bit, or even sell it or donate it.

Oh, I did take some pictures of the pieces on.  The cardigan actually works with one of the tops.  Just ignore the pants.  Next time I'll actually put the items with things that work.
cardigan with the tank
 
just the tank

"gray" top that is actually brown
Obviously, I didn't a picture of the sweater on.  I had a camisole that worked under the gray/brown shirt and I thought it actually worked with the teal pants I was wearing.  I also think it would be good as a cover-up for a swimsuit I have.  I have a pair of gray skinny jeans that I think will work with the tank and cardigan. The cardigan will be easy to find other pieces to pair it with.

So, I think I've talked my self into keeping the whole box.  I'm sure you'll be seeing these items in my WIWW posts and I'll probably get another fix in a couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment