Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Pinterest Tuesday: Quiet Box

Sophie is starting to drop her nap so instead of fighting it I looked online for some ideas and found this and that.  The first link is about quuiet boxes and the second is one moms philosophy on naps (not just for the kids but for mom, too).  I decided to start once Logan went back to school...of course, being sick for 2 weeks meant that it didn't happen exactly as scheduled.  In addition to a quiet box, I'm also going to put a basket of books that are only out for rest time (hey, we have enough books, might as well use them).  I finally put a box together and we've used it a couple of times.  Part of the problem is that some days she will nap but if she knows she has toys to play with she won't even try.  So today we are going to start with resting on her bed (where she can look at books) and if she is still awake when her music goes off then she can get up and use her box.



Right now I just have one filled but I have another box and I think I'll have 2 at a time, that way I can alternate each day and I can use it with Logan on the weekend.  Then I can completely refill them every couple of weeks.  Inside I put a book with CD (and we've practiced how to do the CD player), a puzzle, a dry erase board with crayons, magnet ballerina doll, paper with stickers, a small barbie-type doll she got in her stocking, plus a couple of our tot-school activities (the pom-poms with tongs and the sticks in the jar).  I'll probably keep the same types of things (puzzle, book, drawing, stickers, magnet activity, small doll, plus a couple of manipulative activities).  It seems to keep her occupied and quiet, and gives me some time to watch a show and do a little housework.  Win-win!

No comments:

Post a Comment